School Holidays are just around the corner and there are so many awesome things to do around Auckland.
It can be a struggle getting kids off their devices, away from the TV and playing outside during the school holidays. To get the kids out the house, we will often take them to pricey attractions and over the two week's of holidays, the costs can really add up!
So we've come up with a list of five fabulous activities that are sure to keep the kids happy and entertained, get them out in the fresh Spring air and best of all, they're free!
1. Play at the Playground: There are a ton of awesome playgrounds in Auckland that are free for public use. Some of our favourite Auckland parks include Rocket Park in Mt Albert, Olympic Park in Blockhouse Bay, Okahu Bay Playground in Orakei, Takapuna Beach Playground, Allenby Road Park in Papatoetoe and Snakes and Ladders Park in Farm Cove.
2. Go for a Bush Walk: We're so lucky in Aotearoa to be surrounded by beautiful luscious native bush and with summer hot on our heels, we're in for some perfect bush walking weather these holidays. We recommend trying Kaitoke Hot Springs Track. It's an easy 45 minute, pushchair friendly walk to the hot springs where you can hop in and have a soak surrounded by delicate umbrella ferns.
3. Explore the Auckland Domain: Auckland Domain is packed full of wonderful free activities. Delve into the past at Auckland War Memorial Museum, stroll through the beautiful Wintergardens and tropical house, tantalise your senses in the sensory garden or look at great works of art along the sculpture trail. This is just a few of the many things to see and do at Auckland Domain. To see more, visit the Grafton Residents Association website.
4. Check out Community Gardens: Dotted around Auckland are some gorgeous community gardens that are free for you to visit. We recommend visiting Kelmarna Gardens in Ponsonby. Wander the grounds and enjoy the peaceful country environment. You'll find chickens, vegetable gardens, a pony, young cattle, a food forest, beehives, worm farms, compost making and native trees and flax.
5. Visit the Farm Animals: An awesome feature of many Auckland parks is the farm animals which kids absolutely love to visit. One of our favourites is Ambury Farm Park. You'll see sheep, goats, cows, pigs, lambs, chickens, turkey, rabbits and their elusive peacock. There are grassy lanes between enclosures so you can get up close to the animals safely, or feel free to go into the paddocks and mingle with the animals. If you go around 10am, you might get to see the cows being milked. Click here to see more parks with farm animals.
We hope you enjoy visiting these free attractions and exploring our great city with your kids these holidays. Have fun!