Recipe: Vegetable and Bean Minestrone
On a cold winter evening, nothing beats a bowl of steaming hot soup. This Minestrone style soup is filled with vegetables, beans and pasta, and is perfect for those mid-week evenings when you want to make a quick, nutritious dinner. Enjoy!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 medium onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
2 cups pumpkin, diced
1 x 400g can chopped tomato
1 tbsp fresh herbs, chopped (I’ve used thyme and rosemary)
1 x low sodium chicken or vegetable stock cube,
(I’ve used Massel), dissolved in ½ cup boiling water)
1 x 400g can cannellini beans, drained
1 cup small pasta shapes
Chopped parsley and freshly grated parmesan, to serve
- In a large pan, add the olive oil, onion, carrot and celery. Cook the vegetables on a low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pumpkin, crushed garlic and chopped herbs and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, the chicken stock and water.
- Mash half of the cannellini beans with a fork and add to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked.
- Add the pasta and remaining beans. Let it simmer until pasta is cooked, adding more water if necessary.
- Once the minestrone is ready, check the seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Serve with chopped fresh parsley and grated parmesan.
Herb and Cheese Crostini
Sliced wholemeal bread
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 small garlic clove, crushed (optional)
1/3 cup grated parmesan
1/3 cup olive oil
- Cut the stars out of the wholemeal bread, using a cookie cutter.
- Mix olive oil, parsley and garlic (if using it), in a small bowl.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Brush the olive oil mixture on each star and sprinkle with the parmesan.
- Place the stars on the tray and grill them until golden