Recipe: Rainbow Pizza
The recipe below uses half wholemeal flour and half plain flour for the pizza bases, to improve the nutritional value. If you’re short on time or don’t want to go through the trouble of making your own, you can always use ready-made pizza bases. The same applies to the tomato sauce. Enjoy!
Ingredients for the base:
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 cup plain flour
1 sachet instant dry yeast
1 tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
Warm water (between ¾ cup and 1cup)
1 Tbsp olive oil
Ingredients for the tomato sauce:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 can crushed tomatoes
A few basil leaves, optional
Ingredients for the topping:
250g grated mozzarella
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 orange capsicum, finely diced
1 yellow capsicum, finely diced
½ punnet cherry tomatoes, sliced
¼ broccoli, cut into very little florets
2 tsp dried oregano
- Place all the dried ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Mix the hot water and olive oil in a measuring jug.
- With the food processor’s motor running, add enough liquid to form a sticky, soft ball.
- If it looks too dry, add a little bit more water, and if it looks too wet, add a little more flour.
- When you’re happy with the consistency, mix for an extra minute to knead the dough.
- Move the dough to a floured surface and cover it with cling wrap, lightly sprayed with canola oil. Rest for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Roll the dough into two rectangle shaped pizza bases.
- In a small saucepan, warm the olive oil and gently cook the crushed garlic until it just starts turning a light gold.
- Add the crushed tomato and the basil leaves. Turn the heat down and let it simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated and the sauce is glossy and thickened. Reserve.
Preparing the rainbow pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Spread pizza bases with the tomato sauce and sprinkle with the mozzarella.
- Starting from one of the long edges, make a layer with the finely diced red onion, followed by a layer of sliced cherry tomato, one of diced orange capsicum, one of yellow capsicum and lastly, one of broccoli florets, to make it look like a rainbow.
- Sprinkle with the dried oregano.
- Place the pizza on a flat baking tray and bake until the base is crispy and the top is golden.